Wednesday, June 29, 2011

So Starts Insanity....

I've been meaning to start getting up at 5am to exercise and I've just been too lazy. This is a goal I've kept quiet, so nobody but me knew about it. Which made it that much easier to NOT get up at 5am. I had mentioned it in passing to my boyfriend a week or so ago that 'soon' I would start. I had the thought as I was falling asleep Monday night that I should get up Tuesday morning. That didn't happen. So last night I decided to tell my boyfriend, "You know how I mentioned I was going to get up before you go to work so I can go walking? Cuz waiting until evening just isn't happening. I'm either too exhausted, just wanna stay home with my family, or we've just eaten and that'll make me sick." "Well, I'm going to start tomorrow. I'm going to go up to Larabelle's school and start my 5k training again." At this he was concerned. He was concerned that the training program was not intended for someone of my skill level and weight. I assured him that my 5k Your Way (aka, 5kyw) training program was definitely for beginners. 

He conceded and I laid down to read my book before going to sleep. I am currently working my way through "The Biggest Loser Fitness Program". He asked what time I was getting up and was shocked when I told him 5:00am. He jokingly asked if I needed 'help' getting out of bed when the alarm went off. I asked him not to give me a hard time if I hit the snooze button once, but beyond that, yes.

*BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ!*

Not my favorite sound in the world. In fact, when I hear it in movies/shows it actually increases my heart rate. Odd how something so small can cause such stress.

I am not going to say I jumped easily out of bed and on out the door excited to start my exercise routine. On the contrary, it was a struggle NOT to hit the snooze button and lay back down. I didn't though (a huge accomplishment for me!). I logged into SP to double check how many minutes I am supposed to walk vs. how many minutes I am supposed to jog for my 5kyw training this week, got my exercise clothes on, grabbed my sweater with zipper pockets (can't have my keys and phone falling out), grabbed my GYMBOSS, grabbed my Brita water bottle, slipped on my shoes, and I was out the door.

On my way up to my daughters' school, the top of my right foot was not 100% so I was thinking to myself that when I get to the school I'm just going to walk around the track for 15-20 minutes instead of doing my training. After all, it is my first day back to exercising. When I got to the school though (20 minutes and 1/2 mile later), my foot felt fine. Good thing :) I took the opportunity to stretch my legs and lower back for a couple minutes to loosen the muscles a bit. Then I set my sweater down on the track, took a quick drink of water before setting it down too and turned on my GYMBOSS.

At this point I am supposed to walk for 4 minutes and jog for 1 minute, repeat 3 more times for a total workout of 20 minutes. Good thing too! I'm not sure at this point I could have made 2 minute stretches of jogging. The first jog was 'easy' and I recovered with 30 seconds to spare before my next jog. The second was a little harder, but I recovered faster. This time I had 1 1/2 minutes before my next jog. My third was a little easier than my second and I recovered even faster! I recovered in 1 1/2 minutes! Totally awesome! So I 2 1/2 minutes until my next jog which was comparable to my second.

My walk back took longer than my walk up to the school. I'm not sure if I was sub-consciously trying to cool my body down, or if I was just tired at this point. It took me 30 minutes to walk home. Total calorie burn? According to SP, I burned 419 calories. I can't wait until I can afford a BodyBugg! I am seriously curious how many calories I burn AFTER my workout before my metabolism levels out and I'm burning at a 'normal' rate again.

Well, I'm off for now. Gotta get some housework done :) Church tonight!

No comments: